100 Year History
In 2009 we celebrated our centenary.
Since 1909, Our Lady of Mt Carmel has had a proud history as a Parish Catholic school.
Through the efforts of the Sisters of St Joseph and many past families and staff, the school has developed to the present day.
The people of our early history wanted to develop an alternative education, situated in their Parish, next to the Church, in their local community, to support families in nurturing a Catholic education and a general education.
A brief history of our school
1868: Sisters of St Joseph came to Port Adelaide to establish a school in a site, which is now part of the Port Market.
1871: Mary MacKillop appointed to Port Adelaide for a short time.
1908: Classrooms built on present site.
1909: School opened by the Sisters of St Joseph.
1911: Extension of classrooms.
1917: First Mt Carmel Church built on present school site.
1937: Main building built. School changes from a co-educational school to a Girls School, Grade 4 to Leaving. (Boys went to Marist School, Rosewater from Grade 4).
1960: New Church opened on present site.
1966: School named Mt Carmel Primary School R - 7.
1971: Sr Callista Neagle Principal until 1979.
1977: Original School Library built (no longer on site)
1980: Sr Angela Tonkin Principal until 1981. Last Josephite Principal.
1982: Ms. Mary Schinella is appointed as first lay Principal.
1984: Entrance and administration areas completed
1987: Appointment of Mr Bruno Vieceli as Principal.
1995: Stage 1 of Building program - Administration Area.
1996: Appointment of Mr Paul Murphy as Principal; Stage 2 of Building - classrooms, Resource Centre, toilets, canteen.
1997: Opening of Stage 1 + 2 Building; Launch of the School Development Plan,Vision and Mission
1998: Introduction of the Japanese Language; Oval redevelopment; Carmelites leave the Parish
1999: Stage 3 Building Opened; Playground established
2000: School reverts to Our Lady of Mt Carmel Parish School; new school uniform developed
2001: New School Development Plan; new school fence
2002: Oval redevelopment; suburb name change to Pennington; new basketball court; new car park
2004: Appointment of Ms Grace Parletto as Principal
2005: New School Development Plan; Introduction of Physical Educations as a specialist subject
2006: Construction of Junior Primary verandah; Introduction of Vacation Care Programme
2008: Update of school Information Technology - ebeams installed in all classrooms (Interactive Whiteboard technology)
2009: Celebrate the 100 year Birthday
2010: New multipurpose building built – Mount Carmel Centre.
2011: Josephite convent on Russell St purchased by school. Review of the LOTE program. Approval of the Master Plan. Installation of solar panels on the hall.
2014: Building of the Josephite Learning Centre completed.